As one of the largest university systems in Viet Nam, VNUHCM plays an important role in the national education in general and in the south of Viet Nam in particular. VNUHCM commits to maintain its leading position in both education and research in Viet Nam, actively contributing to the national socio-economic development.
Four major features of VNUHCM R&D policy:
- Enhancing research capacity
VNUHCM is a system of universities and research institutes/ centers working in different fields ranging from natural sciences to socio-sciences and being among the top ones in the South of Viet Nam. The investment for new research facility or research grant is focused on the following 8 priority research fields.
(1) Information and communication technologies;
(2) Advanced materials and nanotechnologies;
(3) Mechanical engineering and automation;
(5) Renewable energies and energy conservation;
(6) Environmental Engineering;
(7) Application-oriented natural sciences;
(8) Economics, laws and social sciences and humanities
- Nurturing international-class research groups
Based upon their performance (measured by international publication and technology transfer activities), research groups can be selectively given strong support from VNUHCM in term ofnew facility investment and research grant. This measure has helped to successfully nurtured several research groups (more than 25 groups) that has asymptotically reached to international class.
- Establishment of Centers of Excellence (CoE).
Based upon seed research groups, VNUHCM has successfully established key research labs and centers, such as stem cell laboratory, Laboratory of Nanotechnology (LNT), Integrated Circuit Design Research and Education Center (ICDREC), John Von Neumann Institute (JVN), VNUHCM and UC Berkeley’ s joint Molecular and Nano Architecture Center (MANAR)… These key research labs/centers and CoE have prioritarily received financial support and human resources development from VNUHCM.
- Strengthening Academia-Industry linkage and further contributing to the socio-economic development of Viet Nam.
VNUHCM assumes the responsibility to contribute to the socio-economic development of Viet Nam. VNUHCM has employed different measures and strategies to improve the Academia-Industry linkage, one of the weaknesses of most Vietnamese higher education institutions, such as fostering the technology licensing activities.